corner

LIST AIRCRAFT BY:

FORUMS:

ADVERTISING:

SERVICES:

AVIATION TOP 100 - www.avitop.com Avitop.com

Welcome to Aviation Forum Sign in | Join | Help
in Search  

Do you think the F - 16 will be replaced soon?

Last post 07-05-2016, 6:09 AM by hugo550. 9 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  07-30-2003, 10:19 PM 2309

Do you think the F - 16 will be replaced soon?

I know, yet another topic, but hey, this is somethin' else that was on my mind; I was wonderin', will the F - 16 (as in the combat, not research versions) be replaced soon. I mean, of course like not within a few weeks or months, but within maybe a few years. Currently, there are 2 planes that seem to be very capable of filling the role the F - 16 takes on: the F - 22 and the JSF.

Even though the F - 22 was originally intended to replace the F - 15, I seriously doubt that Congress would be willing to spend billions of dollars on just an air - superiority fighter, would they? From what I know, the F - 22 is faster, probably more agile, has a greater range, higher ceiling, is a hell of a lot stealthier, and a whole lot more. Even the new Block 60 F - 16s don't seem to match up that well! Could it replace the F - 16 in the near future, assuming it enters production in reasonable numbers?

Of course, it's expensive as hell, so maybe not completely, but what about the JSF, which is meant to replace a lot of fighters, from the F - 15 to the F/A - 18 to the Jaguar, to possibly even the Tornado. It seems that a great deal of the nations are injecting all their effort into making a cheaper, yet just as capable version of the F - 22 to replace a great deal of existing aircraft. The JSF definitely seems like a greater threat than the F - 22 replacing the F - 16, so I guess my question is, is the threat real, or am I just tripping? Your input would be greatly appreciated.

•  08-18-2003, 5:10 PM 2329 in reply to 2309

Re: Do you think the F - 16 will be replaced soon?

Hi

The JSF will first be truely operational in a decade or so and will be the direct replacement for the F-16. It would be far too expensive to replace the F-16s with F-22s. Besides the F-16 still has some years left as a very capable fighter.
  •  08-24-2003, 2:32 PM 2336 in reply to 2329

This Is True

Hey run, what's up? Well, I kinda figured that the F-22 would be too expensive, but definitely not the JSF. Not to mention, when used in tandem, aren't those 2 planes some of the most capable warplanes in the world? I guess that's why I thought the F-16 could get replaced relatively soon, but as you said, it does indeed have some years left, seeing as how it is such an outstanding fighter. :)
  •  03-12-2006, 11:50 PM 3270 in reply to 2309

the F-35 JSF will be operational in australia in 2008 or 2009 and the RAAF will use them to replace our F1-11 ardvarcks and F-18 hornets and the JSF is worth $160 million US
  •  12-12-2006, 5:56 PM 3836 in reply to 3270

Correct me if i'm wrong, but wouldn't the F-22 use less fuel because it can reach mach 2 without after burners. Or would it goble more due to the twin engines?

I don't care what plane Selfridge ANGB gets. Aslong as there is somthing to watch during the summer. I mean right now they have the F-16s and they due and exceptional job. Liek during September 11th there where going to be dispatched to the 767 that went down in Pensylvania, but where running low on fuel due to a trainning mission that morning so they returned to base and it had already went down. Also when Yankees pitcher "Cory Lidel" plane went into the building in NYC, I herd the F-16 afterburners flying over my house countless times. And i'm atleast 5 miles from the base. BTW Selfridge ANGB is the 127th Wing
  •  01-11-2007, 8:41 PM 3928 in reply to 3836

dude who is this i live seeing distance from the selfridge ANG base i am looking at it now out my window as we speek there are KC-135 flying lol

my neihbor works at the base and he sai that the f-16 at selfridge was being replaced by A-10s there taking the f-16 on call and everything out totaly thats wat i herd but the f-22 seems like a better choice but i belive it is the A-10
  •  01-21-2007, 1:34 AM 3971 in reply to 3928

The F-22 will be the replacement of the F-15.  The JSF (F-35) will replace the F-16.  Each is designed for a slightly different mission.

The A-10s may be comming to that particular base. They are ground attack aircraft and NOT fighters.

•  03-08-2007, 4:16 PM 4114 in reply to 3971

Do you think that means they're going to switch the thunderbirds too? i mean their f-16's. or how does that work??? cause i really like the f-16's
  •  07-30-2014, 7:12 AM 13395 in reply to 4114

In the U.S.A. they are replacing it with U.A.V., being a military pilots is not funny anymore!
  •  07-05-2016, 6:09 AM 14775 in reply to 13395

oh nice
View as RSS news feed in XML
Aircraft Wanted Engines and parts Avionics Employment Partnerships

Advanced Search
New Listings
Forums
Login
Services
Contact
Home

©Copyright 2004 Aircraftbargains All Rights Reserved
For more information feel free to Contact Us