corner

LIST AIRCRAFT BY:

FORUMS:

ADVERTISING:

SERVICES:

AVIATION TOP 100 - www.avitop.com Avitop.com

Welcome to Aviation Forum Sign in | Join | Help
in Search  

Would I still qualify for flying an F-22?

Last post 02-20-2012, 6:45 PM by raimius. 2 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  02-02-2012, 3:03 PM 11156

Would I still qualify for flying an F-22?

So I've always wanted to be an F-22 pilot since I was a kid and I'm a Junior in high school right now but I'm not sure whether or not I meet the requirements. I'm about 5'8, I am nearsighted (which can be corrected by surgery) and I'm slightly flat-footed.

Would I still be eligible to fly? Also I might go into Air Force ROTC, is it recommended for me to take an aeronautic engineer major? Because I'm not good at advanced math like Calculus.
  •  02-16-2012, 9:35 PM 11196 in reply to 11156

• marshnewell is not online. Last active: 02-16-2012, 9:37 PM marshnewell
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 02-17-2012
    • 4050 Lake Otis Pkwy Ste 210, Anchorage, AK 99508
    • Posts 1

Re: Would I still qualify for flying an F-22?

First you complete aeronautic engineering and then try for F-22 pilot.
  •  02-20-2012, 6:45 PM 11208 in reply to 11156

Re: Would I still qualify for flying an F-22?

First, you'll need to complete a commissioning program, as only officers are pilots in the AF. For active duty, the options are the Air Force Academy, AFROTC at a civilian college, or AFOTS after you graduate college.

Next, you will need to get a pilot slot out of your commissioning program.

Of course you will need to pass a Class I flight physical. Your eyesight may be an issue, but I'm not a flight doc, so I don't know exactly where and when waivers are given these days. I did get a waiver for roughly -2.25 distant vision.

After getting a pilot slot, you'll need to be near the top of your class in UPT. This is no easy task. You'll need to track into T-38s, and do well there.

Finally, you'll need there to be an available F-22 slot for your class. There are usually a couple F-22 slots per year, with about a dozen classes at four bases each.

Alternatively, you could go guard or reserve, which would virtually guarantee the F-22 slot if you get into that unit and pass UPT. That's not exactly easy either.
View as RSS news feed in XML
Aircraft Wanted Engines and parts Avionics Employment Partnerships

Advanced Search
New Listings
Forums
Login
Services
Contact
Home

©Copyright 2004 Aircraftbargains All Rights Reserved
For more information feel free to Contact Us