LIST AIRCRAFT BY:

FORUMS:

ADVERTISING:

SERVICES:

AVIATION TOP 100 - www.avitop.com Avitop.com

Welcome to Aviation Forum Sign in | Join | Help
in Search  

Just wondering?

Last post 12-27-1999, 5:39 PM by anonymous2. 5 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  12-23-1999, 6:27 PM 1021

Just wondering?

*** Posted by Rapier ***
    Hello,

Pardon me if this may sound stupid but it is something I have been wondering about lately.

The Radar on the F-16 emmits radiation right? Well how harmful is this radiation? I think I saw on one of the pictures once of an F-16 with the nose-cone swung open and there is some sign or something which say's "Danger Radiation", so say if a wingman is behind a lead aircraft with the Rad turned on to full wack is this dangerous also or is it all relatively safe?

Once again thanks!

Rapier
  •  12-23-1999, 8:55 PM 1023 in reply to 1021

Re:Just wondering?

*** Posted by run ***
    Well F16 flying is a dangerous business ;o)
    When we have the wingman in close formation, he normally turns his rdr of to reduce radiation.

run

[Hello,

Pardon me if this may sound stupid but it is something I have been wondering about lately.

The Radar on the F-16 emmits radiation right? Well how harmful is this radiation? I think I saw on one of the pictures once of an F-16 with the nose-cone swung open and there is some sign or something which say's "Danger Radiation", so say if a wingman is behind a lead aircraft with the Rad turned on to full wack is this dangerous also or is it all relatively safe?

Once again thanks!

Rapier]
  •  12-26-1999, 8:51 AM 1024 in reply to 1023

*** Posted by Rapier ***
    Hi Run,

Thanks for clearing that up for me. I suppose it would not be a good idea to really have the wingman who is trailing for him to have his Radar on to reduce the Radar signature I suppose.

Thanks

Rapier
  •  12-26-1999, 9:19 PM 1026 in reply to 1024

*** Posted by run ***
    We normally don't fly with the wingman in close formation unless for t/o and landing. In a tactical environment you want him out in a position where he is able to clear your six + make it harder for the enemy to pick up everybody in the formation + a lot of other reasons.

run

[Hi Run,

Thanks for clearing that up for me. I suppose it would not be a good idea to really have the wingman who is trailing for him to have his Radar on to reduce the Radar signature I suppose.

Thanks

Rapier]
  •  12-26-1999, 11:26 PM 1027 in reply to 1021

*** Posted by Kim Nielsen ***

I think I saw on one of the pictures once of an F-16 with the nose-cone swung open and there is some sign or something which say's "Danger Radiation",

xxxxxxx

Radar-radiation is a serious thing. Once when I vas vorking on a shipyard, an electrician vas trapped upon a shipmast, (vas lifted to his work-area by crane and there left strapped to the mast!) meanwhile the shipradar started. It took him several crusial minutes to get the radar stopped through use of his with-brought cb-radio.
    The followings of the situation was that he was send to the hospital to have a spermcount (easy way to check damage!), and vas by the doctors forbidden to enter the hazardouos evironment (by him taken for the entire shipyard!)until his spermcount had stabilized again!

In connection to the happening one of his colleges could tell about an experience from the airforce Hawk-workshop, where it as late as at the end of the working day was discovered that one of the radars had been turned on for most of the day!
    The discovery of the mishap was done through the continuing glow of the interior light even though it was shut off.
    Followings in that situation: same spermcount!

Its too late for this christmas RUN, but You should wish Yourself a pair of lead-underwear anyhow ;-)

Kim Nielsen.
  •  12-27-1999, 5:39 PM 1028 in reply to 1027

*** Posted by Rapier ***
    Hi Kim,

What an amazing story! I hope that guy was ok. I felt a bit sorry for him but there is a humorous side of it as well.

Regards

Rapier
View as RSS news feed in XML
Aircraft Wanted Engines and parts Avionics Employment Partnerships

Advanced Search
New Listings
Forums
Login
Services
Contact
Home

©Copyright 2004 Aircraftbargains All Rights Reserved