LIST AIRCRAFT BY:

FORUMS:

ADVERTISING:

SERVICES:

AVIATION TOP 100 - www.avitop.com Avitop.com

Welcome to Aviation Forum Sign in | Join | Help
in Search  

poor eyesight

Last post 07-01-2007, 6:40 PM by CAPman21. 3 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  03-14-2007, 11:07 PM 4123

poor eyesight

I'm a junior in high school and I've been interested in joining the air force to become a fighter pilots for as long as I can remember, but I thought it was impossible because my eyes are -4.5. I am varsity track, cross country, and winterguard and I make all As and Bs in all AP or pre-AP classes. I am qualified to become a national merit scholar because of my psat score, but I don't take the actual sat until may. Basically, I am qualified in everything else, but I have poor eyesight. Recently, I heard that in the navy, if you meet the requirements, you can get PRK (an eye surgery similar to lasik) and become a fighter pilot regardless. Is that true in the Air Force? Do I honestly have a chance at becoming a fighter pilot or no?
  •  03-19-2007, 11:30 AM 4131 in reply to 4123

Re: poor eyesight

Assuming you're talking about going through the academy, yes.  Just like navy, air force offers PRK to qualified 2 degrees (Juniors).  Make sure your overall gpa is high enough and there will be a good chance that you will get a PRK spot.  From there it's the same thing with a pilot slot.  Have a high enough gpa and you'll get your job choice.
  •  04-16-2007, 4:34 PM 4199 in reply to 4123

Hey check out this site....

http://www.improvingmyeyesight.com/rebuild.html

The site offers a program of eye exercises to improve your vision. Actually, the creator of the program, Orlin Sorensen, had a very similar situation like you... he wanted to be a pilot, but didn't have 20/20 vision. You can read his story on the site.

My vision is 20/400, which is really poor. I recently started doing the exercises to try to improve my vision. I created a blog where I record my progress with the exercises.

I recently saw some improvement. Other people (who have also experienced improvements) have posted comments about their experiences as well. You can check it out at: http://improvingmyeyesight.com/blog

Hope this helps....
  •  07-01-2007, 6:40 PM 4482 in reply to 4199

I have tried that program but it did not work very well.  It is very hit or miss with these types of programs, especially for nearsightedness.  I would still recommend going into the air force, excelling, and then letting them do surgery for you because you will still be qualified for most if not all jobs.
View as RSS news feed in XML
Aircraft Wanted Engines and parts Avionics Employment Partnerships

Advanced Search
New Listings
Forums
Login
Services
Contact
Home

©Copyright 2004 Aircraftbargains All Rights Reserved
For more information feel free to Contact Us