LIST AIRCRAFT BY:

FORUMS:

ADVERTISING:

SERVICES:

AVIATION TOP 100 - www.avitop.com Avitop.com

Welcome to Aviation Forum Sign in | Join | Help
in Search  

Am I too short? :(

Last post 04-12-2014, 12:24 PM by Amberarak. 7 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  12-19-2004, 9:15 PM 2740

Am I too short? :(

I'm a 16 year old 5'2 Male, and I'm hoping to fly an F-22A ( I think everyone does Smile) . But i've heard that there are ejection seat requirements, and there is some higher risk if you don't meet requirements for the seat. It's hard to get this info, and I'd really like to know. Thanks for your help.
  •  12-26-2004, 8:57 AM 2752 in reply to 2740

• Lt. is not online. Last active: 03-14-2005, 6:34 PM Lt.
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 11-13-2004
    • United States of America
    • Posts 11

Re: Am I too short? :(

Welcome,

I'm an 18 year old 5'11'' male. And also hope to fly the terror of the skys(a.k.a Raptor) . And I'm curious as well what the requirements are, I'm 244 lbs and plan to go down to 195 but don't know if there are requirements for across (because of the throttle,joystick,buttons,etc..). I would also like to know the information on that. Have you tried your local recruiter, or maybe your JROTC commander , he would know where to find that info.

Later.
    -Lt.
  •  03-25-2005, 9:05 PM 2864 in reply to 2740

5'2"  You are not too short.
  •  04-12-2005, 10:20 PM 2888 in reply to 2740

I think the height requirment was 5'3 to 6'5, im 16 too and am 5'5 which is still short. I think you'll still grow if your 16
  •  06-14-2006, 2:45 PM 3423 in reply to 2888

Hey,

I am 16 and a girl, so I have pretty much grown as much as I will.  Being 5'4, I was also concerned with the height requirements for becoming a fighter pilot (my dream).  My father works with the airforce, and oversees the office that judges if an applicant should recieve a wager. When I asked him: he said that you need to be 64 inches, but most importantly have a 34 inch sitting height.  If you are a good pilot and are just an inch or so off of that they should grant you a wager.  

•  06-15-2006, 8:23 AM 3426 in reply to 2740

I think its 64 inches for the USAF and 62 inches for the USN.  So, you may have a chance with the Navy.  I'm not sure what the requirements are for the USMC.  I could be wrong, but I think these are accurate.  You might still grow a couple of inches.  Also, they might give you a plane without an ejection seat in the USAF such as a heavy or a helicopter, but you'll want to find out from a military source because I'm only guessing that they might do this.
  •  01-20-2007, 7:54 PM 3964 in reply to 2740

I'm a 5ft 2 in pilot in the US Navy right now.  I'm a Hornet driver.  No problem.  I'm good for all Navy fixed wing aircraft and most rotary wing.  I'm disqualified for the H-53, all models, but especially the E model, due to my leg reach limitations.

All USAF and USN aircarft designed after about 1990 must be able to accomodate a 40th percentile female (about 5ft 2 in) up to a 95th percentile male (about 6ft 5 in).  That includes all cockpit controls and ejection seats. 

The earlier jets had greater limits on the ejection seats.  The A-4 hade an Escapac seat (forerunner to the ACES II seat) that could not safely handle short, light individuals.  And tall folks in the A-4 cockpit could get a good ejection, but there was a chance they'd leave all body parts below about the knee behind inside the aircaft after they ejected.  Not good.  But modern cockpits are much better that way now, and the modern ACES series and Martin Baker series of seats can handle both smaller and larger individuals than the old seats.  I heard the Russian seats are even better.  Can't speak for European seats other than the British Martin Baker seats, which are super.

•  04-12-2014, 12:24 PM 13071 in reply to 2752

Hi,
    I'm a girl, and too short to be a fighter pilot. I really want to fly but I'm only 5ft and I don't plan on growing anymore. Is there any possible way that I may be able to be an AF pilot?
View as RSS news feed in XML
Aircraft Wanted Engines and parts Avionics Employment Partnerships

Advanced Search
New Listings
Forums
Login
Services
Contact
Home

©Copyright 2004 Aircraftbargains All Rights Reserved
For more information feel free to Contact Us